The International Visegrad Fund’s V4 Generation Mobility Mini- Grand
Title:“ Active, ecological cross-border cycling”
Zakladna Skola,Čadca, Slovakia
Zespół Szkół Agrotechnicznych i Ogólnokształcących, Żywiec, Poland
Project duration : 12 months
Grand : 10000 euro
The creation of the project was based on an analysis of the needs and areas of activity of schools located in the border zone of the Żywiec and Žilina districts.
Key areas for improvement include: foreign language competence of young people, support of education of students from disadvantaged backgrounds, low awareness of the ecology and topography of the regions, weakened physical and mental condition acquired during the pandemic, insufficient ability to use digital tools, poor cooperation of the youth community based on direct face-to-face contacts.
In order to improve the weak areas and meet the needs of both establishments, the following objectives have been set, in the framework of the V4 Gen mini-grant programme, which we will implement together in a time frame not exceeding 12 months:
- to promote a sporty, healthy and active lifestyle and build resilience;
- to create an environmental awareness of the biodiversity of native edible plants, vegetables, herbs and fruit;
- to learn about the topography and characteristics of natural resources in the cross-border area;
- to develop language and communication skills in an international environment.
In order to accomplish the project goals, specific solutions were introduced to improve the above-mentioned areas and the following activities were planned:
- the promotion of a sporty and active lifestyle will take place through joint international physical mobilities and the cycling tours planned during them. While cycling, young people will become acquainted with: border cycling routes and nature trails (built thanks to Interreg projects); they will improve their physical condition, which was significantly worsened by the introduction of social distance during the pandemic period, and they will also improve their mental condition by getting away from screens and interacting with the nature. Health activities will also be influenced by hiking on trails with nature enclaves;
- shaping environmental awareness and healthy lifestyles will take place through and informal methods of Artzine/Mailart, Stencil Graffiti and lectures, workshops, field demonstrations, educational games and practical and technical activities on the role of bees in nature, herbs and melliferous plants, the role of biodiversity, native species of edible plants, vegetables and fruits that can be used in the kitchen;
- pupils will get acquainted with the topography and natural resources in the cross-border area during the above-mentioned cycling tours, visiting nature trails, observing nature, plants and animals existing in natural enclaves. During the cycling activities the non-formal method Photovoice will be used, thanks to which pupils from Poland and Slovakia will communicate with each other, cooperate and raise environmental awareness and will prepare a photo exhibition "Active, ecological cross-border cycling".
Communication and language competences will be conducted on an ongoing basis during online discussions, cross-border meetings and excursions. The methods Photovoice, Mailart will contribute to improving digital skills.
Learning about the culture and interesting sports and recreational facilities of the nearest neighbour will be an added benefit.
A plan for the promotion of the project using the CEE Arka site and the schools' websites as well as social media will be developed prior to the project activities.